Whether you are new to marketo or have an established instance, it never hurts to know how you can manage it better, scale campaigns, align sales and marketing and enhance the adoption of the tool.
A subscription as basic as Marketo ‘SELECT’ has all the features of a powerful marketing automation tool. Let’s talk about the adoption of the 4 modules that are most important to run day-to-day campaigns, i.e Marketing Activities, Design Studio, Database, Analytics.
Marketing Activities: Campaign orchestration occurs here. With multiple teams using Marketo, it is common to see different naming conventions being used for different programs & campaigns. This not only creates more confusion, but also increases the probability of errors while execution. Let’s see some basics –
- Polish Nomenclature : Use Order_Date_Program_Campaign convention, makes tracking easier
- Organize Folders : Name the folders such that they get auto-arranged in chronological order, keep operational campaigns in a single folder
- Use correct program type : ‘Email’ for one time blasts, ‘Event’ for webinars / tradeshows, ‘Engagement’ for nurtures and ‘Default’ for custom campaigns
Design Studio: Home to all global campaign assets. It common to see the file organization getting out of hand in no time. Also, you need to be aware of cloning issues, primarily because it is impossible to move assets between workspaces. Tips and Tricks to help –
- Files: You can create separate folders & subfolders within. Eg: Create Email Graphics folder for each module (Fig 1). On collapsing, they appear like Fig 2.
- Landing Page: Try to start with guided landing pages
- Form: Limit the number of forms you use. Make sure all your forms reside in the design studio.
Database: This is the heart of the instance. It includes PII data, purchase history & interaction information. Maintaining a healthy database helps improve sales, track profitability, and ensure positive customer experiences. Best practices for a cleaner dataset –
- Inactives / Bounces: Periodically review the database for people have stopped engaging with your content or emails aren’t being delivered to them, every quarter is a good frequency.
- De-dups: Marketo has an inbuilt functionality, but with some limitations, hence merge any duplicate contacts observed
- Assign appropriate Lead Stages: Track leads in ‘Negotiation’, ‘Closed-Won/Lost’ stages. Once leads have reached SQL, they typically no longer need to receive marketing emails.
Analytics: Marketo Analytics module helps you create custom reports that analyze engagement with marketing programs, track the impact on key business outcomes, and measure the buyer’s journey. Its imperative to pre-decide the KPIs and monitoring frequencies to see value over time. Some pre-requisites-
- Use Progression Statuses: Know the journey of the buyer and how many customers are at which stage
- Custom tags: Always add custom tags for better visibility of the campaign performance
- CRM Sync: Connect contacts to opportunities, eliminate gaps in reporting
Zensar has successfully implemented Marketo for strategic clients. Delivered exceptional experiences driving efficient growth in concert with Sales. Contributed significantly in resource optimization. Leverage our experience and speed time-to-market for your marketing initiatives! Connect with our experts today.