Cloud computing has quickly paved its way from being branded as an emerging technology a decade ago to being an indispensable part of any next-gen IT infrastructure today. While the industry was valued at $24.65 billion in 2010, it has already clocked exponential growth to surpass the $100 Billion Dollar mark. And the trend will not be losing momentum anytime soon as the industry is expected to cross the $150 billion mark by 2020. But, what truly sheds light on the prowess of cloud computing is that more than 55% of large enterprises would have successfully migrated to the cloud by 2025.
With fast, agile, automatable, and scaling characteristics, cloud computing can function as the technological foundation of digital businesses today. We understand that successful cloud migration is no easy feat and it requires a comprehensive assessment of the needs of the organization before a relevant migration roadmap can be charted out. While adopting a cloud-first mentality is a welcome start, it is crucial to understand the cloud readiness of the organization by envisioning the end-goal and working backwards to find the existing organizational gaps that need to be addressed first.
What is Cloud Assessment Framework?
The objective of a dedicated Cloud Assessment Framework is to understand the involved complexities in cloud migration and help customers smoothly transition to the preferred cloud services. An ideal framework helps organizations to:
- Analyze the requirements and match them with the right cloud applications.
- Choose the most relevant cloud service provider by executing cloud readiness analysis and strategic baseline for enterprise IT planning.
- Facilitate smooth migration to the cloud infrastructure.
- Enhance user adoption rate and improve their overall experience on the new virtual environment.
Hence, the right Cloud Assessment Framework functions as a proven methodology for a low-risk and high-return cloud migration strategy.
Zensar’s Cloud Assessment Framework
Keeping all this in mind, Zensar has developed a Cloud Assessment Framework that defines and implements a comprehensive cloud migration roadmap for companies. This unique process enables companies to identify high-level functioning and non-functioning requirements while setting up their cloud infrastructure. The process is executed by analyzing data within three different parameters:
- Business Objectives and Drivers: Analyzing data related to various business goals and accordingly defining the scope and execution strategy of migration. This identifies the expectations of the stakeholders from the project and determines concrete sources of information that are relevant for realizing the aimed value.
- Business Processes (Core and Non-Core): Both strategic and routine tasks are actively analyzed to effectively prioritize the cloud migration process. Every touch point of critical business workflow is reviewed, including inputs, outputs, stakeholders, processes, applications, data, quality controls, technologies, as well as the complex interaction of these components.
- IT Components: The technological infrastructure is analyzed to learn more about critical requirements and software licenses. This step involves the analysis of IT governance, management, staffing, security norms, disaster recovery protocols, networking & server management, storage analysis, endpoint determination, and the underlying applications.
The result of such a framework is a holistic understanding of the types of possible infrastructures, benefits and risks of each, the involved cost models, and the possible alternatives. Hence, the top-level management can realize the value proposition of each path before undertaking the decision-making process.
Case Study: Overhauling the Fleet Management System of a South African Company
To better understand the hands-on implications of Zensar’s Cloud Assessment Framework, let’s dig deep into the case study of a leading car rental company in South Africa that was facing some infrastructure challenges.
Problem Statement: The company was used a legacy Fleet Management System (FMS) to manage the operations of its car rental services. The FMS system had been developed on the IBM AS/400 Platform, with underlying technologies such as JAVA/J2EE and Microsoft.NET. As a result of the monolithic architecture, the system was faced critical challenges in terms of system agility, maintenance, flexibility, etc. Moreover, the components that were utilized in the development of the framework were not re-usable, turning into serious bottlenecks for growth and scalability. The instinct of the customer was to opt for a Next-Gen Fleet Management System (NGFMS) that would do away with these shortcomings. For this purpose, they required a dedicated Cloud Migration strategy.
Proposed Solution: Zensar’s team of experts analyzed the requirements of the client by conducting an assessment workshop where actionable information related to various processes and methodologies were identified in areas such as Technological Infrastructure, Technology Stack, Software Licensing, Data Transformation, and Security.
After a comprehensive analysis process, Zensar presented an AWS/Azure/SA-based comparison alongside the proposed cloud-based architecture that would be relevant for such a project. The solution also considered the security considerations, backups, and archival plans.
Benefits Realized: After a successful implementation of the solution, the following benefits were achieved:
- The legacy FMS framework was reverse engineered to achieve an automation status of 60-70%.
- With a reliable technological framework of the NGFMS, better decision-making can be undertaken by the management.
- Business processes were externalized and rules were established to boost operational speed by 30-40% because of automation.
- Existing SME knowledge could be leveraged better with more optimized processes.
With increasing complexities of cloud migration, a Cloud Assessment Framework is a mandatory precursor for any successful cloud strategy today. Not only does it reduce the involved risks, it also accelerates the user adoption and lowers the total cost of IT investments in the entire cloud management lifecycle.
To learn how you can best utilize Zensar’s Cloud Assessment Services and realize the listed benefits for your business connect with us. Leave a message below.